A school on this site was established in 1785 as a result of a benefaction by Sir John Gay Alleyne who was at one time  representative in the House of Assembly for St. Andrew and Speaker of the House.

Not much is known of the early history of this school but in 1881, it was renamed ‘Alleyne School’and recognized as a  “Secondary School of the Second Grade” for boys. It became co-educational in 1947.